Tuesday, May 31, 2011

friend inspiration part 3: my little ballerina

Kamilah


I met Kam 6 years ago when I attended the Summer Intensive at the Richmond Academy of Dance. I fell so much in love with the school, that I ended up moving to Vancouver for the next school year. Yes, that's right. I moved to a completely new city for my grade 12 year and I am so glad that I did, because if I hadn't, this beautiful young lady wouldn't have become a part of my life!


Kamilah has spend this past season as a professional ballerina with Ballet Kelowna. I am one proud sister.


Here is Kamilah's Interview!


About The Artist

How long have you been dancing for?

Kam: I have now been dancing for 15, almost 16 years.

Favourite style of dance? 

Kam: TOUGH! I always use ballet as my base, the core of all my dancing (technique wise), but dancing contemporary/ neo classical ballet/ contemp ballet I feel the most free and creative...I give my heart away each time I dance that style. Aside from dancing, wanna make me happy? GIVE ME A MUSICAL...what can be better than singing dancing and acting at the same time. 


Favourite type of dance shoe? 

KamBallet: soft shoe would defs be sansha, and pointe shoe would be either FREED studio II, or gaynor mindens.


When was your first solo?
Kam: My first solo was when I was 8 years old. I got halfway through and forgot the rest...I stood center stage with the lights beating down on me and I ran off stage in tears. Hey, we all have our moments (laughs).


 Spare time? 

Kam: (Laughs). Well I love teaching children..but I guess thats not spare time . I can never be doing NOTHING...I get lazy that way. I love yoga and pilates in mornings, I write ALOT, I have a passion for fashion and makeup. I will usually sketch designs and I have recently started bringing those designs to life. Oh, did I forget to mention that I am a major sports fan, I would NEVER turn down a chance to go to a game of any sport.


A big thanks to Kamilah! I can't wait to see you, my love!

2 comments:

  1. wow Chels this is so great!! she is so stunning. you moved to Van in gr 12? did you family come with? or did you go by yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, isn't Kamilah beautiful!!! I sure did! Nope, my parents stayed on Van Island! I moved in with one of my ballet teachers, then I lived with Kamilah's family and then I got an apartment with one of my friends! :)

    ReplyDelete