Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cooking with Chelsea: Rice and Beans and Cheese

This is one of my favourite childhood recipes! It's what got me through most of the Fringe Festival without breaking the bank, and yet still having enough energy to do two shows a day! AND it's vegan for all of you veggies out there (you would just sub out the cheese or use vegan cheese). It's great for busy bodies that aren't at home for dinner! You can make it at the beginning of the week, and take it with you each day (or you can freeze it)! It's also great party food, because it makes about 10 to 12 servings. I hope you enjoy it!


Mexican Rice Bean Casserole (10 - 12 servings)  

Ingredients 
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 chopped white onion
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 pounds of chopped mushrooms *
2 chopped sweet green peppers
3/4 cups uncooked long grain rice **
28oz can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
190z can chopped tomatoes 
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
mozzarella cheese to taste ***



Directions
- Heat Vegetable oil and water over medium heat in in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and green peppers. Let simmer for 10 mins - stir often. 

- Add everything except for the cheese. Let simmer for 25 mins, or until rice is cooked.  Preheat oven to 350. 


- Transfer to casserole dish and then sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 mins.

Now there are many things you can do with this casserole. My favourite way to eat it is wrapped in a soft whole wheat tortilla. I grill the tortilla so that it's nice and soft and will not break when I wrap it.  My family likes putting chipotle sauce and sprouts in the wrap! Sour cream is another good option!

* I only use about 4 mushrooms, because I am not a huge fan.

** I use 2 cups of cooked brown rice. Slightly healthier 

*** I use marble cheese instead, because it's usually what I have in the fridge. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment